Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fields are White with Harvest

Across the road from our home lies a vast cotton field, a true beauty to behold this time of year. The children always enjoy seeing the big John Deere tractors when they appear on the horizon throughout the latter spring and summer. Of course, I love to take pictures of my children when harvest time draws near!


However, as I look from my front porch at the now snow white field and soak in its beauty, I am reminded of the Scriptures:



"Behold, I say to you, lift up your eyes and look at the fields, for they are already white for harvest" (John 4:35b)!



As we look around us, I pray we will consider Christ's urgency. The mission field is all around us. And please do not neglect the mission field of your own home. This should be a first priority! How would it be for me to evangelize the lost in another country or even down the street, only to neglect evangelizing my own children? How would it be for me to disciple and mentor other believers, only to neglect the discipleship of my own? Yes, the fields are white for harvest, and they could possibly be sitting across the breakfast table. . . . . . .

Considering the discipleship of our children, another Scripture came to mind:


"The harvest truly is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest" (Matthew 9:37).



Dear fellow mother, the laborers are few. But will you raise your precious children to be laborers of the Lord? Many hope for their children grand educations, big houses, 2 cars (or more), good insurance, 6 figure salaries, and maybe a couple of kids (when it's convenient). But I want to encourage you to keep your eyes heavenward and on eternal things. Raise those children to be laborers for the Lord!

Many may say, "Of course, I am doing that." However, I want to ask a hard question, "How? Are you sure?" Discipleship takes time. How much time do you invest in your children's spiritual lives?

Could I venture to ask, "Who (or sadly what) is discipling your children?" Is it the television? The neighbors' kids? The Ipod? The babysitter? The internet? Whoever or whatever has your child's attention most of the day probably has the advantage in the realm of "discipleship."


"A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher" (Luke 6:40).



If we want to disciple our children and raise them to become laborers for the Lord, let us take the proper time and pains to do it because "the harvest truly is plentiful!"


In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

No comments: