Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Say It All

At night, when the children go to bed, it has been my habit for about 9 or 10 years to pray over each child aloud. If I ever get caught up in a project downstairs and reach them after they have fallen asleep, the next night they will remind me, "Pray for me when I am awake."

Last night was one of those nights. When I slipped into Middle Sister's and Little Sister's room, they were snuggled under the covers and (seemingly) fast asleep. Middle Sister was under her quilts and her pillows (evidently they were cold), and Little Sister wrapped up in her quilt like a coocoon. As I tried to carefully adjust Little Sister's quilt, she barely opened her eyes and groggily requested, "Say the blessing over me."

Amused at her choice of words but not wanting to awaken her any more than necessary, I breathed a simple prayer sentence: "Lord, thank you for Little Sister."

She opened both eyes and retorted, "Say it all!"

I laughed but complied.

However, as I lay in bed, I began to contemplate her request. She did not want to be shortchanged. She evidently takes great comfort (as do the others) in hearing Mama call out to the Lord on her behalf.

Hopefully, they will will only find it natural to call upon Him, to seek Him morning and night, not only through prayer but also through the meditation of His Word.

My mind remembers encouraging verses in Psalm 78:



"I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old, which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done" (v. 2-4).



The Scriptures show us that it does not require theology degrees (or even 2 or 4 year degrees) to disciple our children. We just need to TELL them. It is our job, not anyone else's, to share the things of the Lord with the generation in our home. Why?



"That the generation to come might know them [things of the Lord], the children who would be born, that they may arise and declare them to their children, THAT THEY MIGHT SET THEIR HOPE IN GOD, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. . . . ." (Psalm 78:6-7).



God has a discipleship plan for us, but we must not shortchange this precious generation. Too many "projects" can get in the way. Distractions can get in the way. Self can get in the way.

As I carry out my normal responsibilities today and prioritize the telling to my children "the praises of the Lord, and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done," I must remember Little Sister's admonishment: "Say it all."

No shortchanges. No shortcuts for convenience sake. No giving heed to distractions or less important priorities.

Just. . . . "Say it all."

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

Again, Wise words. You give me something to think about all the time.