Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Value of Diligence



Big Brother loves soccer. He wakes up talking about the next game and the possibilities of another win. Last night he went to bed talking about their latest win in the scrimage at practice. He is the youngest on the team (by a long shot, we played him up to keep him on the same team with Bigger Brother), and the coach says often that he is the hardest working player on the team. He has actually always enjoyed athletics and is very diligent at anything involving a ball.


But lately that diligence hasn't carried over to his math book.


Now we here really value diligence. Diligence is a good thing--the opposite of lazy. And we know what the Scriptures say about lazy. . . . .




"The soul of a lazy man desires, and has nothing" (Proverbs 13:4a)




And we know what the Scriptures say about diligence. . . .




"The lazy man does not roast what he took in hunting, but diligence is man's precious possession" (Proverbs 12:27).




So a lack of diligence around here is generally frowned upon. And boy was it frowned upon yesterday when the math books were open!


Big Brother insisted he needed help with his long division problems. (Of course, he had needed help with his fractions, too. . . . .) Praying for wisdom, and knowing he had been doing long division for 2 years, I decided this was a lazy problem and not a computation problem (no pun intended). I told him "No, I want you to do it on your own." (I know, some of you are gasping that I could be so heartless.)


Ideally, he would have seen the wisdom of my counsel and "got right to it" (as we say in Alabama), but alas, he began to sink into despair and fall into the whining pit.


Still hoping I had made the right decision, I informed him that if he really needed help with long division, I could help him, but, of course, he must need more practice since he had forgotten so easily and would, therefore, need an extra page of long division problems.


Suddenly, he no longer wanted my help. Go figure.


Later, when I was checking his work, I noticed he had worked all the long divisions problems. . . . .correctly.


Ah,. . . .the tendacy of the body and mind to lean toward laziness. "But diligence is man's precious possession."


Paul exhorted us in this same area in Romans 12:10-11:




"Be kindly affection to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; NOT LAGGING IN DILIGENCE, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;"




As mamas, we should take heed to this instruction ourselves, as well as guide our children in the same way. What a tool for the Lord we can be when we do things His way!


In the Heart of our Home,

Rebekah

3 comments:

Missy said...

Hello Rebekah,
So good to hear from you. I didn't know you were blogging now. I'm exicted to be able to keep up with you this way.

We are all very well. Please let us know if you ever get down this way. We'd love to see you guys.

Missy

Mama Hen said...

I LOVE the background! When you come tomorrow will you help me set mine up? I'll attempt to make Pumpkin Cake again if you will, bribe, bribe...

Lisa said...

Rebekah -

Good job doing your due dilligence - both with guiding your son and figuring out how to get the lovely background! There is nothing we can't do, with a little faith and perseverance. Have a blessed day!

Lisa