Monday, November 24, 2008

Spotting the Counterfeit

In my current reading of Matthew, I came across something new (to me) in Matthew 4. Ususally, my attention falls to the wonderful example of Christ's use of Scriptures in temptation. This helps me when tempted to sin and when tempted to believe the enemy's lies.

However, this time, I noticed Satan's mishandling of the Scriptures. When Christ responded to the first temptation with the Word of God, the devil then tempted Him again, but the second time, he seemingly quoted Scripture, too, but in an effort to manipulate the Lord:


". . .If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written: 'He shall give His angels charge over you,' 'In their hands they shall bear you up, Lest you dash your foot against a stone.' "(Matthew 4:6).


Satan was quoting Psalm 91:11, but he left out part of the verse. Notice the Scripture in its entirity:


"For He shall give His angels charge over you, TO KEEP YOU IN ALL YOUR WAYS. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone" (Psalm 91:1-12).


(Satan did not want Jesus kept in all His ways!)

Of course, Christ immediately responded with more Scripture.

Hopefully, you and I realize the enemy is the Great Deceiver and the Father of Lies. He is in the business of twisting the Scriptures. If we do not know God's Word well, we will be even more vulnerable to this type of deception. In 2 Timothy 2:15, the KJV emphasizes the phrase "Study to shew thyself approved unto God."

Notice all the verse and even the verse following (NKJV):


"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness" (2 Timothy 2:15-16).


We must be diligent, and we must study so that when the devil and/or (his) false teachers tempt us or even use God's Word in an inappropriate way, we can compare it to what we have studied and readily reject his lies.

Have you ever noticed the marker the cashiers use when they receive bills larger than $5's or $10's? They swipe it across the bill as a test to see if it is genuine or counterfeit. The Word of God is like that marker. It reveals whether what you hear and read is genuine or counterfeit. Use God's marker in your own life.

Can you spot the counterfeit?

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

2 comments:

Daphine said...

Beautifully stated! Your post today has not only inspired me, but has also challenged me. LOVED this! Thanks!

Have a great day!

April said...

Oh, but it's so very difficult to compare truth with semi-truth. For me, it takes a daily (hourly???) begging of the Holy Spirit to teach me and keep me accountable, so to speak. When I fail to ask for wisdom (James 1), I feel I am left to my own wisdom, and yikes! that's not pretty.

April