Monday, November 10, 2008

Valuing God's Gifts



"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but shall speak with their enemies in the gate" (Psalm 127:3-5).



We are humbled by the Lord's graciousness and thankful to announce that He has blessed us with another gift. We discovered a few weeks ago that the Giver of Life blessed our womb.

Approximately 13 years ago, we became aware that God is in control of the womb and opens and closes it as He sees fit. We submitted our desire to control the size of our family to Him and were blessed the first 3 years with 3 little children.

I was so afraid we would have a dozen children before I could blink and constantly needed to re-submit my trust to the Father. I was still learning to see children as God sees children--a heritage, a gift, a reward, instead of the way the world sees children--a burden, an inconvenience, and sometimes (as those in politics and those the likes of Planned Parenthood would say) a "punishment."

After those first 3 children, 22 months later came another. Then it was 3 1/2 years later before #5 arrived. By then, I had come to better understand the precious value of children and that they were the blessing God says they are, and any thoughts or comments to the contrary were really disguised from the Father of Lies.

Our fifth little blessing is now approaching her 4th birthday, and God has had a lot to teach me in these past 4 years. I learned it is not enough to simply trust Him with the day to day of raising the ones He has chosen to give us. I must also trust Him when He chooses to say no.

I have learned that in contentment there IS great gain and that there is no better place to be than where the Lord puts you.

So now that we have discovered God has chosen to gift us with this incredible little life, we feel totally undeserving and are in awe at His mercy.

We do not know how many arrows He will see fit to give us, and we hope they will include some adopted arrows one day, but we will gladly receive what He offers and love them and value them for what they are--God's gifts.



In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

6 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Yeah! I was wondering when you would announce your big news. Can't wait to meet the newest little sweetie. If it's a girl can we go ahead and arrange the marriage between James and her? Just kidding, not really, oh I jest, well, we'll see....

So happy for you!!!!!

Kathy, Jeff's Wife said...

YAHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

I'm very happy for you!

Word Warrior said...

Rebekah,

DANCING!!!! I am thrilled beyond words!

Just A Family said...

I'm so happy for you guys.
I'm so glad to be walking this
journey with you.

robin

Missy said...

Rebekah, This is just fantastic. I am beyond thrilled for you guys and for the sweet little one who will be joining your wonderful family.

Love,
Missy

Mod Girl said...

You have a beautiful family, and congratulations on your happy news!

This is my first time visiting your blog; I love how you fill it with scripture.

I'm in AL too.