Friday, December 12, 2008

Esteeming Others Better Than Yourself?

Little Sister always gives me something to write about. ;-) Of course, all our children are still in need of careful training, and we pay close attention to their behavior and the state of their hearts (which is usually evident by their behavior and/or attitude) because we love them dearly! Every opportunity, no matter how big or small, to train is an opportunity to teach them God's way.

However, Little Sister, who brings more joy to our family than I could describe, is still in a stage that requires careful, careful attention to opportunities for training. (Did I say that nicely? ;-)

Yesterday morning she grabbed a toy Middle Sister was enjoying and immediately fled with it. Fortunately, Daddy grabbed her mid-flight and immediately set her down for a heart-to-heart training session.

What did this heart-to-heart reveal about her own little heart? When he asked why she would grab something someone else was enjoying, she simply answered, "I wanted it."

Hmmmmm. . . .

I thought of Philippians 2:3-4:


"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."


Little Sister's honest response reveals the root behind many problems seen throughout our whole culture. So often we want our flesh gratified, so we do whatever seems easiest and fastest to satisfy those desires. This type of servitutde to the flesh leads to financial problems, maritial problems, family relationship problems, and the list could go on and on.

As Believers, we must be willing to deny ourselves (our flesh) so that we can always be able to take up our cross and follow Christ. According to Philippians 2:3-4, we should "consider others better than himself." How easy is this?

Can I consider my husband better than myself? Other family members? The Salvation Army bellringer? The Wal-Mart cashier? The lady about to get in line with me at the grocery store? If I do, how can I show it? The Scriptures says in verse 4:


"Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others."


If you have children at home, are you teaching them this principle? If they are going to develop a servant-heart, how much better and easier for them to learn it earlier than later. We see the fruit of this learning in several of our children, but in others around here it is making "slower progress." ;-) Soooo. . . . .we keep teaching, keep training, keep planting the Word, and keep trusting the Lord to bring it all to fruition.

And I keep reminding my own self of the same verses! How about you?

1) How do you teach selflessness to your children???

2) How have you seen this type of self-denial and servant-heartedness lived out (in others or in yourself)???

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

3 comments:

Mama Hen said...

What a good mommy and wife reminder for today. I think when we teach this to our children it will expand to all areas of their lives. There was a lady in Charlotte who did not know me well at all and came and scrubbed my floors (on her knees) when I was so sick and pregnant. I don't have any contact with her today, but she is such an example to me of what it means to be a servant.

Janet said...

What a good post Rebekah! You are so good at stepping on our toes! ;) During this season it is so easy to be enticed to do or get what we want. Let us model the life of a servant to our children!!

Just A Family said...

Thanks for living so close:)
I love you and your family.

rob