Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Theology in a Child's Favorite Song

Have your children ever had special, favorite songs they wanted to hear over and over? Perhaps there was a special tune or maybe a particular hymn that comforted them when they were sad?

I remember with our first child that "Amazing Grace" seemed to comfort her. I had sung it to her even before she was born, and when she was just a newborn and even older, I could sing it to her and comfort her cries.

Middle Sister seemed to particularly like "Oh, How I Love Jesus." We would rock and go through as many verses as I knew of that song, and she seemed to always love it. (Sometimes at bedtime, she still requests it! ;0)

When Little Sister was a baby, I didn't try any new tricks. I would sing all the old favorites of her brothers and sisters. However, somewhere along the way, she has developed an attachment to "The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock." We sing it in the car, as we play, as we work, and especially at bedtime. And it is very important that we perform the accompanying hand motions, you know.

I must admit--I do get tired of it. And just when you are finished singing about the wise man, you have to start on that ol' foolish man! But she likes it, and I know she won't always want to sing this one. Besides, I hope one day she will understand the teaching of Matthew 7:24-27 through this song.


"Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock. But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall" (Matthew 7:24-27).


The theology in these verses is pretty easy to understand. Follow Christ and His sayings/His Word, and when the storms of life come, you will be able to withstand because you are on the "Rock." For those who do not follow His teachings/His Word, the storms of life will beat you down.

I notice that these verses do not suggest "if" but "when" the rain, floods, and wind come. Life will throw troubles our way. The question is not "what if" but "On what will you be standing?"

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah


2 comments:

Christy said...

Hi thank you for visiting my blog. My husband's only 6 months into a 15 month deployment. He'll be home in a couple months for 18 days of R&R though!

As far as being in Germany away from family, THAT is a true blessing actually. I've lived 90 miles from my family before moving here and recieved NO support and actually ended up not talking to my family for 6 months. I'm blessed with wonderful friends here who are far more family than I could have ever imagined!!!

God Bless

Mary - Joy Filled Living said...

Rebekah -- how did I not know that you were blogging! I loved this post! And I saw the "I'm expecting" label! Congratulations!!!!
I'm thrilled to have another church chick in blogger land!