Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Testimony Tuesday!!!

I am excited about something new I want to incorporate into this blog! I would like to take the opportunity each Tuesday to not only share with you something God has been teaching me but also to encourage you to share what the Lord has been teaching you!

With the Living Word, what the Lord can teach us is limitless! Often what He shows me is also re-emphasized through something occuring in my life, but we know that He will never teach us through experiences anything contradictory to His Word.

I was "stopped in my tracks," so to speak, a few weeks ago when reading through Galatians. It was just after my hubby's recent trip to Central America. Their team had served the Lord through evangelism, VBS in the barrios, a women's conference, pastors' conference, and revival services. In addition, a group of very hard working men had built a house for a lady and her children (whom we already knew through their stay at an orphanage).

After returning home, one of those men was sharing with a fellow church member about the house and the family and the amazing work the Lord did through them to build a block house in such a short amount of time (less than 4 days). Unfortunately, the fellow church member was less excited and did not share the same vision of serving the Lord in such a capacity. Perhaps just a member of the "cold water committee," nevertheless he began to communicate his idea that spending that kind of time and money on other people (especially in another country) during our country's time of economic slowdown was just too foolish. In his opinion, the money should have been used more wisely at home.

Of course, I was floored at such an attitude. How can professing Christians be so selfish? True, buildings fall down eventually, and the only lasting mission work is the spread of the Gospel. But this building in Central America is now a monument standing there to testify to the love of Christ. Was it a waste of time? Was it a waste of money?

Only a few days later, I read Galatians 2. Paul was relating to the Christians in Galatia his testimony of meeting the church leaders in Jerusalem:

"and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do" (Galatians 2:7-9).

How interesting that when James, John, and Peter gave Paul and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, understanding that the latter were to go to the Gentiles with the Gospel, the one additional concern they expressed was for the POOR. "THEY DESIRED ONLY THAT WE SHOULD REMEMBER THE POOR. . ."

How convicting! God began to reveal to me how important this was to Him and how little I consider the poor in my daily life.

"For the Lord hears the poor, and does not despise His prisoners" (Psalm 69:33).

"Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflected and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; free them from the hand of the wicked" (Psalm 82:3-4).

"I know the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor" (Psalm 140:12).

Let us not forget in our time of "economic slowdown" how rich we really are compared to the rest of the world, but let us look for ways to minister to the poor the way the Lord would have us!

What about you? What is the Father teaching you? Please leave a comment to encourage me and others and to give glory to the One who deserves it!

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

We have been studying Hebrews at CBS and I have been amazed at how Jesus has fulfilled every point of the law~and I don't have to. Not that I ever could. This doesn't excuse from from striving to obey His commands, but His love compels me too.

And Sunday I heard something I had never thought about before. All of the Law that was given is a reflection of some part of God's character. He did not give us the Law as just a do and don't. He gave it to us to teach us about Himself and point us to Christ. I am thinking about going through some of the OT books and going through the different laws given and trying to make the connection myself.