Friday, April 3, 2009

Milkshakes, Vaccinations, and Sanctification

I know all (3) of you were so worried about my absence from bloggy world this past week or so. We have been traveling with hubby again as he preaches in revival services, and this past week, I did not have internet access.

Yesterday, our first day home, we began the day with check-ups and vaccination updates at the dr. office. We thought Little Sister would be finishing up her rounds of "catching up" and the others were only getting a booster of a vaccination that our pediatrician recently recommended since we travel to C. America.

It was encouraging to see the older ones planning how they would definitely go first and set the example for Little Sister, you know, in order to show her how "big kids" take it. (Besides, Mama promises Chik-fil-a milkshakes for general good behavior during "shot time.")

Well, as many of you can imagine and maybe relate, the conversation continued the whole way there about how Little Sister should just watch them and see that "it's really not that bad."

Oh, to have a camera to catch the looks on their faces when we got there only to discover that Little Sister was actually the one who was all "caught up!" And the funny irony of the fact that it was some of the older children who were really "behind." (no pun intended)

Little Sister sat almost expressionless as the good news of her pardon seemed to sink in. It was almost as if she were afraid to celebrate too soon. After a few minutes, she leaned to my ear and whispered, "I still get a milkshake, . . .right?" :-)

The older children did do well, despite being taken off guard by the news of extra injections. I thought about how we as Believers are so often aware that we are to be an example for others.

"Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ" (1 Corinthians 11:1).

What a heavy load this sometimes seems. We know we are to follow Christ in such a committed way that we can turn to others and encourage them to imitate us! I know I so often do not feel adequate for this task.

And isn't it funny that when we do think we are up to it and are focused on the role of "example-setting," in reality, Christ is really working on us? Remember the verse I shared last Tuesday?

"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works , which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).

So while we are called to set the example for others by ourselves imitating Christ, He assures us that He is still working on us! We can trust and rest in that truth. I don't expect Christ would leave any workmanship of His own halfway completed: "looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).

And just think, we have something far greater than milkshakes waiting at the end!

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

2 comments:

Mama Hen said...

That Little Sister! I wish I COULD have seen her face!!! I'm glad you still got milkshakes though. Now, I want one.

Praises for His Sanitification. What desparation we would have it not for it!

Jeanette said...

Love this!!! I too would have loved to see her face!! :)