Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Testimony Tuesday!!!

The Lord has been taking me back to a somewhat less familiar and certainly less practiced Biblical principle. I have always struggled in the area of "gentle and quiet spirit." (Are you surprised? ;-)

"Do not let your adornment be merely outward. . . . .rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God" (1 Peter 3:3-4).

Many years ago, I would just dismiss this verse of exhortation and say, "Oh, well. God just didn't make me like that."

Of course, He wouldn't let me stay in this ignorance and over the past 5 years or so has gently worked on me and stretched me in this area. I have NOWHERE even NEARLY arrived, and even if He struck me mute, there would be the issue of "spirit." ;-)

However, I can see in little ways how He has taught me and changed me. Maybe I had become satisfied that I was now quiet enough and shouldn't bother to be stretched anymore. What a laugh!!!

So just a few days ago, I began re-reading a book by Teri Maxwell: Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. Whoa!!!!! What a reminder that the Lord is so not finished with me yet!

She offers this definition of meek/gentle from the Webster's 1858 dictionary: mild of temper, soft, gentle, not easily provoked or irritated. Hmmm. . . I am a little concerned about the not easily irritated part!!!!

Maxwell then shares the definition of quiet from Webster: peaceable, not turbulent, not giving offense, mild, meek, and contented. Ouch. I have been praying that the Lord would help me to be contented in each of the little circumstances through the day that would normally provoke irritation.

So as you can see, the Lord is teaching me a lot; I know I can only lean on Him to help my flesh submit in obedience and in a "gentle and quiet spirit."

What is the Lord teaching you? Please share a comment about how you are growing in your walk with Him!

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

1 comment:

CWHill said...

That is so funny! I am reading the same book. (Actually, I have been reading it for the past 3 months.) I pick it up, I put it down, I struggle, pick it up, put it down (you see the pattern here).