Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Testimony Tuesday!!!

I would like to share what I have learned through the Word this week and also through the book I have been reading, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit. The author of the book pointed out the difference between worldly and godly sorrow.

With worldly sorrow, we may feel bad about a mistake or sin, but our focus is totally on ourselves. For example, "Oh, I always lose my patience with this child when she does this. When will I ever learn? I just keep failing. I'm just a bad mom." Perhaps there is no real concern or conviction for this particular sin, just a desire for "me" to get it right.

Godly sorrow, on the other hand, focuses on true conviction. It grieves over and confesses the sin, and then godly sorrow repents:

"Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted, but the sorrow of the world produces death" (2 Corinthians 7:9-10).

I do not want to be in self-pity about my mistakes, but I want to submit it properly to the Lord.

I shared this principle about worldly and godly sorrow with my children b/c we all know how children are "sorry" but then often repeat the same grievances over and over. ;-) I encouraged them to join me in responding to sin with godly sorrow instead of worldly sorrow. We even noticed how the night before Christ's crucifixion, both Judas and Peter (as well as the others) sinned in their betrayal and denial of Jesus. Yet it seems obvious that Judas responded to his sin with worldly sorrow and that Peter responded with godly sorrow.

So the Lord is teaching me about godly sorrow this week. What is He teaching you??!!!??

1 comment:

CWHill said...

Rebekah,
I am sure you saw that this book has a study guide. If others are willing I would love to do a group study on it.