Monday, May 25, 2009

Redeeming the Time


Not too long ago, we were visiting my father. . .who happens to have satellite TV. :-) Since we do not have satellite, cable, or any incoming channels for that matter, it is always a treat to my kids to watch a few cartoons or sometimes Animal Planet.

Now to tell you a little fact about myself---I would be a Fox News Channel junkie, if given the chance. So when we go to Paw Paw's or any other place with digital channels, I love to sneak me some moments in front of the latest "Fair and Balanced."

Well, while we were visiting, I overheard the following conversation between 2 of my girls:

Middle Sister: Do you want to watch TV?

Big Sister: I guess.
Middle Sister: I wonder what we can watch?
Big Sister: I don't know. . .
Middle Sister: (glumly) Probably the only thing on that we can watch is Dora or the news.

(We are very picky about what they can watch. LOL! If it's on Noggin, it's probably OK. LOL! If it's on Disney, it depends (no teeny-bopper, disrespectful, jr./high school junk allowed). If it's on Cartoon Network, maybe if it's Tom and Jerry. :-) If it's on Nick and it's not preschool, don't ask. They do get a lot of Animal Planet. ;-)

Big Sister: Maybe there's something on. . . .

Middle Sister: If you had to pick between Dora and the News, what would you pick?

Big Sister: I don't know, I guess the news. . .

Middle Sister: Oh, no!!!! That means you are really growing up!

When I overheard this, I just chuckled to myself. Middle Sister thinks Big Sister is growing up just because she might choose the news over Dora the Explorer! Of course, I had to restrain myself from calling in there and telling Big Sister, "C'mon girl, let's find Sean Hannity's show!"

But the truth of the matter is that she is growing up, just like all my children are. I just don't always notice it. The time we have with them is so fleeting. One birthday rolls around after another. As I have thought back on their little conversation, I have been reminded over and over to stop and cherish these days and years. We can't get them back.

Consider what the Lord says about our time in Ephesians 5:15-16:
"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil."
We have such precious little time with our children. We should make the most of it, making sacrifices to spend as much time as possible with them, "redeeming the time, because the days are evil!"

What are some practical changes or commitments you have made in order to redeem the time as you raise your children?

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

To invest in the things that really matter. In our house that means Bible head and heart knowledge is more important than math and history, etc... Although I can get caught up in academics and lose this vision.

Also, letting the children be children while they have the chance, but always have the future in mind. We want to instruct them to be adults that can provide for and take care of their families.

Time goes by so quickly. It seems like I was just holding your Bigger Sister in my arms at your little apartment. Such a wonderful picture.