Friday, June 12, 2009

Perseverance




Summertime is upon us, and Middle Sister and Little Sister have needed swimming lessons! This is something we never got around to last summer, so I wanted to make it a priority this year.

From the recommendation of a dear friend, we managed to squeeze into the class of a lady who has been teaching for over 20 years. And let me tell you. . . .she is not your average swimming teacher.

Mrs. P. does not put up with any whining, crying, "I don't want to get my face wet" kids. As a matter of fact, when a child did cry, I heard her say with my own ears, "Hush now. There's nothing wrong with you!" and "If you don't stick your face in that water and swim, I'm backing up! I'm backing up!" (out in the deep water! LOL) One child who was really showing some defiant skills was told immediately, "You will not act ugly. Either you get in that water or I will throw you in." I didn't hear another peep from him.



Well, needless to say, every child in their class from 4-8 years of age learned to swim these past 2 weeks! I am telling you, it was amazing! (and a bit amusing)

I humbly admit, my 4 year old did her share of crying the first day, not wanting to put her face in the water. But with no sympathy from her teacher and constant encouragement from Mama and Daddy in the form of "No fits. No crying. Obey your teacher," we had no more tears after the first day.

Little Sister began to enjoy the water and became quite proud of her new abilities.
So after 2 weeks, Middle Sister went from swimming about 3 feet to jumping from the diving board and swimming the length of the pool, and Little Sister went from not wanting to even put her face in the water to jumping from the diving board and swimming to the ladder unassisted.

Isn't it amazing what a little tough love and perseverance will do?

Last night we read the story of the little Dutch boy who saved the town by placing his hand in the crack in the dike. The version in our book emphasized that he had to stand there all night long until someone came to help. Perseverance.
Yet, perseverance is not only reserved for fables and fairy tales. As Believers, this should be fruit in our daily lives.
"And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope" (Romans 5:3).

"But you have carefully followed my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, love, perseverance, persecutions, afflictions, which happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra--what persecutions I endured. And out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yes, and all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution" (2 Timothy 3:10-12).
"Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended by the Lord--that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful" (James 5:11).

"But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love" (2 Peter 1:5-6).

So, wherever God has you in your daily life and wherever you may be in your walk with Him, remember the virtue of perseverance. We know the end goal is worth it:
"Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus" (Philippians 3:13-14)!
In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah
P.S. Lest you think too harshly of Mrs. P, every child was loving her and hugging her with happy smiles before the first week was over. She gets a thumbs up from me. :-)

1 comment:

Mama Hen said...

Sweet pic at the top. They are soooo cute! I am so impressed with what they did.

Thanks for the encouragement about perserving. I can tend to do a lot of whining myself.