Saturday, August 1, 2009

Investing our Lives

Little Brother is now over 5 weeks old, and I have spent the first 5 weeks of his life enjoying every little thing about him. We all know children grow fast; I see it in our other blessings. I guess knowing how fast the others have grown causes me to cherish every day and hour with Little Brother.







I noticed these verses in 1 Thessalonians:



"But we were gentle among you, just as a nursing mother cherishes her own children. So, affectionately longing for you, we were well pleased to impart to you not only the gospel of God, but also our own lives, because you had become dear to us" (2:7-8).

Most mamas do cherish their children and are willing to invest their very lives in them. We must not lose sight of this vision.

This very week, when my house was defintely showing the signs of 5 weeks of "baby rocking" instead of house cleaning and I was beginning to fall prey to stress, my best friend Mama Hen reminded me that the vision was to keep the priority on mothering and not housecleaning.

As a mother, I should be "well pleased" to impart the gospel of God and even my own life to my children (not imparting my life to a clean house or hobbies or other less important distractions).

As a Believer, God has you planted in your life to impart the gospel and even your own life to others. Is it your children, your friends, your parents, your neighbors? Paul was willing to leave his comfort zone and impart the gospel and his life to foreigners and those of a different race.

Investing one's life is not easy. But how much more glorious and satisfying to invest one's life than to waste it.

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

4 comments:

Mama Hen said...

That is the sweetest lpicture! He is so precious.

Thank you for imparting your life to me. You are the bestest friend ever!

Jeanette said...

I LOVE this picture!!!! You are so right too. I have to remember this often when the boys are begging me to play with them and I look around and think of all the "stuff" I could be doing!! ;)

smallseven said...

You are SO right Rebekah! Thanks for the great reminder! I can't wait to meet the newest addition at the meeting Saturday. He is coming isn't he?

April for the Crew said...

I read that chapter this very day. And got something completely different out of it :-). Skipped over the application of that verse entirely. I love it! Thanks for sharing!