Monday, January 11, 2010

Well, when I said I was getting back in the blogging saddle again, I didn't realize I would need a ladder. ;-)


But, yes, I have been contemplating what I last mentioned in the last post. Love. Are we living it out in homes? I mean, Jesus said we (Believers in Him) would be His witnesses starting in Jerusalem (closest to home). And didn't the Lord say love was how others would know we are Believers?


"By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35).



So, if we are His disciples, we will be testifying of Him through our love, which should first and foremost, start at home.


Now I know most of you know that love is more than a feeling or emotion. Common sense should tell you that if you have been part of a family for any length of time.


Besides, how will others know we are His disciples (John 13:35) unless they see it and witness it. Love is demonstrated.


"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8).


How are we demonstrating love in our Jerusalem, our own home?


We don't have to guess what it looks like. It is not up for suggestions or debate or personal opinion. Paul describes it in 1 Corinthians 13. He uses words and pharases that are easy to understand, but maybe hard to live:


*suffers long (How patient are we when our children disobey? What about when they tell you about last night's dream that seems to never end. . .)


*kind (When hubby misunderstands what we are saying or interrupts before we finish or {fill in the blank})


*does not envy (Do we let our envy of the way other people live their lives determine how we react to our children and push them into a mould God doesn't have planned for us? Or worse, try to push our husbands into that mould?)


*does not parade itself (Wow. How many times do we out of pride try to show our hubbies how spiritual we are or how together we have it, maybe even out of an "I told you so" attitude?)


*is not puffed up (Do we realize how pride is at the root of most sins? Most of our arguments would not occur in the absence of pride.)


"By pride comes nothing but strife, but with the well-advised is wisdom" (Proverbs 13:10).


*does not behave rudely (Rudeness never is a testimony for Christ. Yet how many times have I heard (and done it myself) mamas and wives speak rudely to their own precious children and husbands. It's funny; when I hear others do it, it sounds so ugly (and convicts me), and I think, they would never talk that way to me or my children. Are we guilty? Maybe an even tougher question, how do we react when someone behaves rudely to us?)


*does not seek its own (When our lives are filled with Me-ism, we are never going to demonstrate Christ's love. We must die to self daily and not seek our own, but look out for the interests of others.)


"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others" (Philippians 2:3-4).


More next time. . . .


In the Heart of our Home,

Rebekah






5 comments:

Mrs. Jennifer said...

Listen here Rebekah, I'm going to stop visiting if you're going to fuss at me like that! LOL
Thanks for the word!

Rebekah said...

You are so funny! I know how you feel!

Christy said...

Ah such a great reminder....GOD is so wise and we are so foolish. Praying to live far more the way he calls me to live.

Jill said...

Yay! I'm glad you posted again!!!

Girl, that was a good word. Pride... oh how it will rear it's ugly head way to often!

bobo said...

good post................................................