Friday, April 9, 2010

"He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30).


This verse has been a prayer of mine for many years. I know that in my walk with the Lord, I must decrease daily. And so it is in my journey as a wife and mother! Decrease, decrease, decrease.


"Do not be wise in your own eyes;

fear the Lord and depart from evil" (Proverbs 3:7).


"But what things were gain to me,

these I have counted loss for Christ" (Philippians 3:7).


"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition

or conceit, but in lowliness of mind

let each esteem others better than himself" (Philipppians 2:3-4).


In addition, I find many opportunities to encourage my dear children to decrease and allow the Lord to increase in their lives. It seemed those opportunities really abounded this morning. . . .


Yes, this morning in our dear home, 4 out of 6 children were fussing and squabbling and were all-around not considering others better than themselves. No sooner had I counseled 2 on the virtues of sharing, giving of oneself, and treating one another they way they would wish to be treated then I had to turn around and counsel 2 others for the same such selfishness.


Hmmm. . . . .I thought, maybe this is a good day to open up to Matthew 5 again. Sure enough, His Word STILL says,


"And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.

Give to him who asks you, and from him

who wants to borrow from you

do not turn away" (Matthew 5:41-42).


After a reminder from the Sermon on the Mountain, we remembered John the Baptist's words in John 3:30 (see above).


So I asked them, trying to make a spiritual point, "He must increase. Who is "He" in this sentence?"


It was at this point that I didn't know whether to smile or cry. Big Brother then promptly replied, "The subject."


I decided to laugh instead.




In the Heart of our Home,

Rebekah