Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Tyranny of the Urgent

For the first time, I am reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation in what is supposed to be a year. (It looks like my Bible should say "Read the Bible in 15 months or so." ;0)

Nevertheless, it is something I wish I had done long ago.

I am learning so much and seeing much more in the "whole counsel" of God's Word.

This morning I was in Luke 12:

"Then He also said to the multitudes, 'Whenever you see a cloud rising out of the west, immediately you say, 'A shower is coming'; and so it is. And when you see the south wind blow, you say, 'There will be hot weather'; and there is. Hypocrites! You can discern the face of the sky and of the earth, but how is it you do not discern this time'" (54-56)?

How often do we get caught up in the natural? We often live like this temporary world is all there is or will be. If you are a Believer, this is not your "best life now" or ever. Today is just a staging time for the eternity.

I know at my house there are days that the tyranny of the urgent reigns. The urgent of this natural world.

I want the important things to reign each and everyday. (Am I hoping too loftily here?) I want to lie down at night and know that my day was not driven by the urgent but by what God considers of upmost importance.

Most of us can "discern the face of the sky and of the earth," but are we discerning "this time?"

In the Heart of our Home,
Rebekah

5 comments:

Symasek Family Circus said...

Oh how right you are...I am ashamed to say that recently much of my life (I feel) has been lived in the "Tyranny of the Urgent". I pray that I will get so much better at making my days full of what the Lord has each moment, instead of what is on my planner OR what has become "urgent" in our house at that particular moment. Love to you!

boycrazymom said...

I so needed to read this!! Thank you so much for sharing you heart!

Eric said...

Yes. I can relate.

The Ferrill's said...

Mmmmmm....I love this sweet friend! Mostly, the tyranny of the urgent attacks when we are trying to get out the door!

Thank you for your SWEET message checking in on us! And for your precious friendship!

God's Grace said...

oh so true. So much easier to "know" and remember these things early in the morning than when the day goes on and the demands are greater...

Looking forward to hearing about your journey to your son :)