Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Why We Are Adopting, Part Three

Yes, there is a part three to this. I'm sure there could be a part 438, but I will try to wind it down soon. :0)

It was not until we had prayed and prayed about adopting and had begun to pursue the journey that I realized how much earthly adoption is such a picture of the Gospel.

Yet now, I see it from Genesis to Revelation.

"just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, having predestined us to ADOPTION AS SONS BY JESUS CHRIST TO HIMSELF, according to the good pleasure of His will" (Ephesians 1:4-5).

". . .God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might RECEIVE THE ADOPTION AS SONS. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, 'ABBA, FATHER!'" (Romans 8:14-15)

Consider all the parallels. While we were yet sinners Christ died for us. He reached out to us with his outstretched arm and redeemed us. Similarly, an adoptive family reaches through the beaurocracy and piles of paperwork, perhaps making financial and many other types of sacrifices, to redeem a child from the clutches of an orphanage or other type of establishment (perhaps even from the hands of the women's health clinic professionals).

When Christ adopted us He gave us His name and promises us "full rights as his adopted children" (Romans 8:23). An adoptive family also does this when giving their new child their own name and welcoming him or her into their family and home.

What about a special needs adoption? Were not you and I on the special needs list, needing Someone to pull us out and call us His own? My special needs probably came with a very long file but could be summed up in 2 words: sin and self. Yet, those needs did not scare Christ. He did not back up and look for someone easier. He took me and began His very own therapy: regeneration.

Oh, of course, some folks always worry about trans-racial adoption. Should I really adopt someone who is not the same race? Well, praise the Lord, He did not stick with His own race! I'm as far from Jewish as one can be (by birth), but Christ didn't turn His nose up to trans-racial adoptions and brought me right on into His family.

So there you have it. I was a spiritual orphan, on the special needs list, and to top it off, I was the "wrong" race. But Christ, in His grace and mercy, adopted me into His family, calling me a daughter of God.

What about you?

Consider what the Lord told Moses and the Isrealites in Deuteronomy 10:18-19:

"He ensures that orphans and widows receive justice. He shows love to the foreigners living among you and gives them food and clothing. So you, too, must show love to foreigners, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt."

Sweet Believer, you too were brought out of Egypt. Yet God showed unexplainable mercy and compassion on us while we were still in the bondage of slavery and BROUGHT US OUT!!! Despite out race, despite our issues, He brought us out and called us His own. So we too must show compassion and love. even "love to foreigners, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt."

5 comments:

Symasek Family Circus said...

What a great reminder, Rebekah! Oh, my struggles with sin and self...I am so thankful that I can daily die to self, and let Him live through and in me. Can't do it without HIM!! Love to you!

David & Janet Hurley said...

I had never thought of the SN part. Just as we say there is no such thing as a non-special needs adoption, there is no such thing as a non-special needs human! (well. except that 1)

Shonni said...

Great posts Rebeka!
And I love how you brought up the “special needs” issue!
I love your heart friend. Keep on shinin’ your light!!!

The Ferrill's said...

Awesome parallel, Rebekah! I love it!

Eric said...

I'm so very thankful for you! God blessed me with a wonderful wife! I love you more than words can say!!