Thursday, October 28, 2010

Now Where is that Cape?

So I get up this morning with my sweet children in mind. They love homemade cinnamon rolls.

So at 5:15 AM I am working away, smiling at the thought of those happy little faces.

Ya know, it takes a while to make these little gems. (There's a reason Pillsbury charges so much for those pop n fresh cans.)


I'm even beginning to think, "These are going to be so good. Maybe I should just get rid of this old apron and find my supermom cape."

The kids rise and begin drooling. The rolls rise and begin oozing. Yumminess dripping--tempting us all.

Well, we all need a pridebuster. . . .I guess.

As those fabulous looking rolls have only 5 minutes left and the homemade maple icing is ready to be applied, I notice something seeping from the oven.

It's not. Oh, yes it is.

Smoke.

The next thing I know we are opening windows, turning on fans, and at that point, I think my cape blew out the kitchen window. . . . . .

Yep. About the time we saw flames in the oven.

Or maybe it was when the smoke alarm went off.

Or was it when hubby had to call ADT and ask that they NOT send a fire truck?

Cause he had doused the fire with flour.

But he was a sweetie. I think he needs the cape.

He volunteered to go get breakfast from McDonald's.



Update: One pan is salvageable. Older Brother renamed homemade cinnamon rolls "Smokies." I guess when I get the oven cleaned out I can finish baking the other pan. Easy Oven anyone???

6 comments:

Mrs. Jennifer said...

Oh, welcome to the club. I get pride busters aaaalllll the time.

Serving the King said...

HYSTERICAL!! Bless your heart!! Why is it when we try so hard these things happen! ;) Here's to a better rest of the day for you!

Chantelle said...

Glad I'm not the only one to have these moments....worst for me is when Tony wanders into the kitchen and says, "Are you cooking something?" b/c I've left the oven on with nothing in it!

Mama Hen said...

You need a brownie :). From the store, not your oven. :)

The Ferrill's said...

Well, I still think you deserve a cape for being up and cooking at 5:15! :)

David and Janet Hurley said...

It's the thought that counts=)
I just throw my kids a pop tart and be done with it....not a breakfast cook, unless it's for supper.