Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday Snapshot: {A Vision Deferred}



As many of you know, our vision to adopt was birthed a long time before 2010. The Lord first whispered a faint prompting way back in 1997. Then again in 2001, I felt the small stirring and caught a glimpse of a foggy "vision."

But the pieces just didn't seem to logically fit in our puzzle.

Of course, everything the Lord works does not necessarily always seem logical.

It wasn't until 2006 that the vision of adoption and the call of the orphan seemed real. God seemed to firmly plant the seed in our hearts and began to water it with His Word and by unveiling the worldwide plight of the orphan right before our eyes.

One would naturally think that if God is giving the vision, the family is willing and available, and the need is so great, things would fall together in a nice cookie-cutter ending.

But it didn't.

And we had valleys and more valleys.

Many valleys that only a few of you know about.

And I watched as friend after friend brought precious children home to their forever families.

So, of course, I wondered, "Is this God's vision or ours? Are we responding to His call or that of our emotions?"

Yet, He would not lift the burden.

And here we are, 4 years later with an LID for this precious little son!



Many, many times I would wonder, "Why, why did the Lord give us this vision so many years before He actually planned to bring it to fruition?"

And then I look at this sweet face:



When we were waiting for our LID, my husband remarked that LID didn't just stand for Log in Date. He said it must also stand for Lessons in Discipline. ;-) He said the entire journey has been just that. The Lord working on us and refining more and more of ourselves.

A dear friend pointed out an entry of Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest which addresses this very thought. You see, in Exodus 2, Moses saw the plight of his people when he "looked on their burdens" (v. 11). He saw their oppression and seemed to want to do something about it right then.

But not surprisingly, God had another plan.

He sent Moses into the desert to feed sheep for 40 years.

Hmmm. . .

Then, after 40 years of becoming who God wanted Moses to be for the job, He sent him back to follow through with God's plan.

I must admit, I have often felt like we were sent into the wilderness during the past 4 years. But I have learned to trust God more than I ever thought possible.

And I have learned I don't think I trust Him enough.

I have learned that God is ever so faithful.

And I have learned I don't think I am faithful enough.

But, nevertheless, . . . . .Lord willing, I have learned to say,. . .we are finally on our way out of Midian.





**************************************************************************

(Today I am particpating in Sunday Snapshot over at Ni Hao Y'all. I may even try it next week, too! :-)



Ni Hao Y'all

7 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Woo Hoo for Lessons in Discipline AND log in dates!!!!!!!!!
Little Hai Hai is ADORABLE!!!!!!! I know your heart is BURSTING! We need to catch up!

Monica said...

Thank you for sharing your story and your heart. We are on our second adoption journey and God is still teaching us difficult lessons. Congrats on your LID...your son is absolutely gorgeous! Oh the lessons you will continue to learn as He makes you into the family your sweet son needs.
Blessings,
Monica

Monica said...

By the way, our LID to LOA was 57 miserably long days. Mostly because our agency would not allow us to blog (or in my daughter's case, facebook) photos, birthdate, Chinese name, or any identifying information until we received LOA. But it's all behind us now...we should have our article 5 delivered to CCAA this week to wait for TA. Woo Hoo!
Blessings,
Monica

Serving the King said...

Gracious what a great post!! I can so relate! Can't wait to follow your journey!

Mama Hen said...

He is just precious Rebekah!

Kelly said...

Your perspective on the "wait" is right on!! I think the Lord teaches us so much while we walk the road of obedience. And obviously, looking at that sweet face, your son just wasn't ready for you yet. And now that he is ready--the Lord has brought your family to him. I LOVE adoption...so many different stories but the same result. God is always near.

David and Janet Hurley said...

Tell your DH he's a genius. I have trying, since the last post, to figure out what LID meant to him.