Sunday, November 28, 2010

Comfort and Cost


I love my kids. I know you love yours, too!



If we could sit down together, we could drink some sweet tea, swap photos, and talk about how they make us laugh and smile.



Just like this morning at church when I had a great time laughing with a friend about the witty things our newly and almost 6 year olds say.




I look at my children and think, "What if I had missed all this?"



What if we had listened to the naysayers and decided 2 would be enough?




You know, "A girl for me, a boy for you, praise the Lord, and now we're through!" ;-)



Many years ago, I was afraid with such a "quiverfull" mindset, we'd end up with a dozen kids.



Now with half a dozen in the house, more doesn't sound so bad.




(Two more sounds really good, right now, actually!)



Now am I trying to convince you that I've got it all together?

Would I dare suggest our home is just perfect and all is always blissful?

No.
There is always an element of chaos. Usually noise from most every room.

They are not near as quiet as we'd sometimes like. . . . . .;0)



But, you know, this life is not about me. It is certainly not about my comfort.

And when I feel like I'm getting too comfortable, I know I need to be looking to see where I'm falling short.




Christ's life was not comfortable. Neither were the lives of the disciples. Nor the prophets for that matter.

I know most missionaries lead pretty uncomfortable lives.
And that is what I am. . . . . .a missionary in the heart of my home.


And I think about what my dear friend Robin recently posted, quoting Charles Spurgeon:
"God forbid that we should offer to the Lord that which costs us nothing."
So I resolve again to wake each morning, trusting in His mercy and grace to equip me. I depend upon Him to minister through me to each of these precious children and to the ones who are yet to come home.



I cannot do it alone.

But God forbid that it should cost me nothing.



Ni Hao Y'all

7 comments:

Mama Hen said...

I love your kiddos!!!!

Chelsea Gour said...

A wonderful post! It went right along with the message I heard in church yesterday and just gave me more confirmation of some things God is telling me. We are not called be normal!! We are called to be extraordinary.

Vicki said...

Is. 49:18b (NLT)
As surely as I live,"says the Lord, " they will be like jewels or bridal ornaments for you to display."

I must say that your jewels (children) are beautiful and you display them with tenderness and aw! Just as the scriptures say- your heart reflects this.

As I read your post-this scripture immediately came to me. You are such a blessing. A wonderful missionary. Your children will be amazing ambassadors.

Blessings to you all.
Grace,Grace

Serving the King said...

Ok that was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful!

Laine said...

Oh Rebekah I have tears! AMEN! So convicting and inspiring all in one post. Why do I want the easy life so much? It is because I take my eyes off of Jesus and put them on the world. And then I start to sink! I needed this today! Thank you for posting...

And I am still praising God LOUD for those two more boys coming to a forever home where they will be surrounded by DISCIPLES! :)

Love yall!

David and Janet Hurley said...

Great post!! I have to remind myself --often-- that it's not about me! If we had done the "girl for me, boy for you" thing we would be empty nesters now....oh my...I cannot even imagine! Praise God for all the children.

*Overflowing* said...

beautiful post...love it!!! gorgeous kiddos!