Monday, January 17, 2011

A Gideon-like Fundraiser

The Lord amazed us again with the results of our Spaghetti Dinner/Silent Auction!

This was the first of its kind that I had ever planned and organized. Needless to say, as I was purchasing the supplies, I was nervous about how much or how little to buy.

We finally decided to prepare for 400, not knowing if we would have 100 people with ALOT of leftover food or if we would run out of food and wish we would have had larger goals.

I knew that we had the potential of making $2000 if our maximum arrived.

So imagine my disappointment when only 1/4 of the number of people showed up. All I could think about were my dear friends and family who had helped me cook all day and all the dear friends who had baked desserts for this fundraiser. I knew deep down that God would do what He wanted with this particular fundraiser and eventually provide what we needed, but boy was I disappointed that we had put so much effort into this Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction with such a low turnout.

Then I went home, and as the children were getting ready to fall into bed, I began to count the money.

Can I just say that God doesn't need my numbers?

He gave us, through the hearts of many precious and generous people, $2386! Totally amazing. And since then we have received another $300 donation.

He exceeded my "goal" with a quarter of the turnout I thought I needed.

It reminded me so much of Gideon.

Remember when God wanted to use Gideon to lead Isreal in victory over the Midianites? Gideon started with 32,000. God said this was too many. Then Gideon had 10,000 men, but God said, "The people are still too many" (Judges 6:4).

Eventually, Gideon was left with only 300 men, and they ran the Midianites out of town with only trumpets, pitchers, and torches.

And God got all the glory. No one could say that Gideon had planned it so well or that he was such a mighty commander. It was all God.

And so goes our Spaghetti Dinner and Silent Auction. It was all God. Fighting on behalf of our sons. Moving mountains. Building a testimony in their lives.

So thankful we get to be a part of this story.

6 comments:

Mama Hen said...

Awesome news! Just amazing.

James is lots better and I think we will be able to come to Art tomorrow. I want to get all the details!

David and Janet Hurley said...

Fantastic! God always pays for what He orders!

Christel and Family... said...

Praise the LORD!!!!! Woohooo!!! Not much to go!!! YAY!!!!

CWHill said...

Love it!!! God is amazing.

Laine said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!! He is revealing so much more of Himself to you and to me!
It reminds me of how He showed up at the Rockathon!

*Overflowing* said...

Oh Rebekah...isn't His provision amazing!!! He's constantly reminding us that it's going to be HIS ways not ours! I love it...then He receives ALL the glory! Thank you Lord for providing for this precious family!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!