Friday, February 4, 2011

Interruptions

Wow. This week has been full of them.

It is so interesting that a week like this has come after I noticed a small point in Sunday's sermon that mentioned the way Christ dealt with interruptions.

It seems when Jesus was teaching or ministering, there were often interruptions. Yet, He always used these interruptions as teaching opportunities.

The instance mentioned Sunday was in Mark 3:31 when Jesus was teaching to a multitude. His mother and brothers sent someone to Him, interrupting Him. Instead of becoming frustrated at their ignorance and lack of understanding His ministry and work, Christ used it as an opportunity: "For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother" (Mark 3:35).

Remember when Jesus was teaching, and people brought their little children to Him? The disciples saw it as a major interruption and rebuked those who brought them. But the Lord was displeased with the disciples and used the little interruption as another teaching opportunity: "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:14).

I am reminded to keep it all in perspective when interruptions come my way. It is so easy to become task-oriented when mothering a large brood ;-), and especially in these last weeks of preparing to travel to China, I find myself more and more check-list driven.

So knowing that Christ never let a teaching opportunity slip him by, and remembering how when "He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them. . ." (Matthew 9:36), I am praying He will help me seize every opportunity to teach, love, and show compassion to my little "multitude." :0)

2 comments:

Shonni said...

This is such a great reminder to me today!!! And the verses are perfect reminders also.
Thanks for writing this!!

Family said...

What a great reminder for us Moms, thank you!