Saturday, February 19, 2011

Reflecting on a Clean Trough

Several weeks ago, I was bemoaning the neverending cycle of messy house-clean the house-messy house again.

I mean. . .why can't a clean house stay that way for just a little bit?

I thought of my many household projects that were yet to be done and wondered how I would ever squeeze them in between school, supper, and sunrise.

Then the very next day, I came across God's wisdom on the matter:

"Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; but much increase comes by the strength of an ox" (Proverbs 14:4).

Wow. God very clearly says it all in just a few short words.

Sure, if my home were just a house. . .with no precious babies in it. . .it would probably stay clean for a while.

But with the mountain of laundry and the many meals and the multitude of toys, books, and games come a mountain of joy, many smiles, and a multitude of laughter, fun, and memories.

And with the blink of an eye, they will be gone. If how fast they are growing now is any indication.



So I will keep cleaning the trough but not worry when it doesn't stay clean.

Cause that just means my house is not yet empty.

5 comments:

David and Janet Hurley said...

Love it!, so true. My house looks like I have about 40 oxen this week.

Symasek Family Circus said...

Well said! And how true. We just spent all day Thursday and Friday cleaning for my aunt to come in town. ALL I wanted was for it to stay clean through Saturday...didn't happen. :-) But that is okay because boy, do I love my oxen!

Mama Hen said...

I don't know what I would do without my four oxen!

Jill said...

Hmmm... what does that say about the messy house with no oxen??? I think it just means there are 2 lazy people in the house!

I can't believe how big he's gotten!

CWHill said...

Amen!!!